2 Months Away
- Hire a licensed mover.
- Ask friends, family, and me, your real estate professional, for recommendations.
- Get at least 3 quotes.
- Find out if packing is included in quote.
- Find out what insurance is being offered and contact your own insurance company.
1 Month Away
- Hold a garage sale to get rid of any unwanted items.
- Contact an antique buyer if applicable. (Ask me for a recommendation.)
- Donate items to local charities.
- Videotape items that will be moved and store on a CD.
- Purchase all packing materials (boxes, tape, bubble wrap, labels, markers.)
2 Weeks Away
- Pack the garage, attic, storage areas, bedrooms, kitchen, bathrooms, and all living areas.
- Assign a color-coded label for each room.
1 Week Away
- Complete a change of address form at your local post office or online at usps.com.
- Notify all credit card companies and service providers of your new address.
- Schedule a recommended cleaning company to thoroughly clean the home after the move.
- Call all utility companies to disconnect service as of your day of closing and provide the buyer’s information.
- Make sure all packing has been completed.
- Secure all small valuables in your safe deposit box.
1 Day Away
- Have movers pack and load all your belongings. Walk through and make sure nothing is left behind.
- Meet the house cleaners and tip them accordingly.
- Ensure that all appliances, faucets, toilets, smoke detectors, and fixtures are in working order. If there are any issues, call me.
- Give me your key so that I can perform the walk through with the buyer.
- Pre-sign all closing documents.
- Ensure that all boxes arrive at your new location and that there are no damages.
- Begin to unpack and enjoy your new adventure!